Good datasets to pivot:
NYC’s Graduation Outcomes data from NYC Open Data.
Department of Environmental Conservation data on gas wells in New York State.
- Start with
Data > Pivot Table Report– look at the cells Excel proposes to use. Does that include all of your data?
- Add Row – Use “COUNTY” for the rows. You should see a list of county names.
- Add Value – Use “API_WELLNO” for now.
- Check the formula – should excel
sumthem? Or find an
More things to play with:
- Try adding “SLANT” as a Column – horizontal (as opposed to vertical) wells are particularly controversial. Are there any concentrations of horizontal wells?
- How would you work out how much money each county is collecting in permit fees?
- Can you see any trends in the average permit fee in each county?